Reducing our carbon footrpint
We understand the importance of taking steps now to protect our future. It is the responsibility of every one of us to do what we can. As a business which has been established for more than 200 years, we take our role in this very seriously.
In 2021 we set up a carbon reduction committee which produces forward-thinking strategies and identifies opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint. The committee also manages a firm-wide forum, allowing all GA employees to have their say and ensure as many people as possible can put forward ideas and have an impact.
The firm has made a huge number of operational changes and also developed a number of important relationships to limit our impact and make a positive change. Keep scrolling down for more detail.
So, what have we actually done?
The firm and beyond
- We have undertaken a formal assessment with SWMAS which allowed us to determine our carbon footprint baseline. We now join the top 10% of businesses in Plymouth that achieved a ‘Gold’ quality standard
- As active patrons of the Devon Chamber of Commerce, we understand the value and importance of the “Blue Economy” i.e. living and working near the sea and the need to protect that
- All supplies and merchandise are bought from environmentally friendly sources to ensure the content is bio-degradable or recyclable
- We have ceased printing business cards, and instead use Zappify, saving the printing of hundreds of business cards each year
- We are transitioning to a more paperless office including reducing the number of files stored and thus printing needed
- Our use of water coolers has been reviewed and limited, with only recyclable, paper cups provided
- We have installed energy-efficient, sensor-driven lighting with energy-efficient light bulbs
- Zip taps have been fitted to all floors to reduce water wastage and also the energy needed to heat water which is not use
Travel and staff involvement
- We have implemented a cycle-to-work scheme as a benefit for GA staff, saving 25-39% on bikes and accessories
- CSR days – These provide paid leave to staff, providing them with the opportunity to volunteer for worthwhile community work and projects, including park and beach cleans
Pollinators play a pivotal role in maintaining a healthy ecosystem and are also essential in the provision of food for wildlife and humans, which is why GA is now actively contributing to the local social enterprise, Pollenize CIC. Pollenize is developing new ways to track and improve environments for pollinators to flourish and has helped more than 400 species since 2018.
We have signed up with Ecologi to support reforestation around the world. Below is the real-time amount of trees we have planted through general support and client feedback. Planting trees has a number of benefits for mitigating climate change, supporting biodiversity and also for human health. You can view our live dashboard to view all the projects that we have supported below.
Plastic Free Directory
We are listed in the directory as part of the Plymouth Plan for Plastics – the Plymouth City Council initiative that drives the Plastic Free Plymouth mission. By doing this, we have pledged to reduce all plastic in the firm.
GA has made significant steps to foster a more inclusive and supportive law firm. Thanks to Hey Girls, they match every single order as a donation to someone facing period poverty, but that’s not all, all products are responsibly resourced and biodegradable helping to reduce landfilled waste and pollution in our waters.
A recent CSR day
Bovisand Plymouth beach clean (and survey for the OSPAR convention), 26th April 2023.
The OSPAR convention is a mechanism by which 15 Governments & the EU cooperate to protect the marine environment of the North-East Atlantic. By joining Marine Conversation Society’s beach cleans to collect data, we can further protect our oceans from marine pollution.
You can view the data collected by one session here.