Fair Data Processing Notice
Who are we?
1. Gill Akaster LLP trading as GA Solicitors is a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales and is a ‘controller’ under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018. Our office is at 25 Lockyer Street Plymouth PL1 2QW.
Whose data do we hold?
2. We may hold data about the following people:-
b. Customers and clients;
c. Suppliers and service providers;
d. Advisers, consultants and other professional experts;
e. Job applicants and work placements;
f. Users of our website and social media platforms; and
g. Complainants and enquirers.
What data will we collect?
3. We will only collect information from you that is relevant to the matter that we are dealing with. In particular we may collect the following information from you which is defined as `personal data’:-
a. Personal details;
b. Family, lifestyle and social circumstances;
c. Financial details; and
d. Business activities of the person whose details we are processing.
4. We may also collect information that is referred to as being in a ‘special category’. This could include:-
a. Physical or mental health details;
b. Racial or ethnic origin;
c. Religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature;
d. Criminal convictions; and
e. Sexual orientation.
5. Please advise any changes to your information for live matters to the lawyer representing you or for closed matters to privacy@GAsolicitors.com.
Basis for processing
6. The basis on which we process your personal data is one or more of the following:-
a. It is necessary for the performance of our contract with you;
b. It is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation;
c. It is in our legitimate interests to do so; and
d. You have given us your consent (this can be withdrawn at any time by advising our data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com).
How will we use your data?
7. We may use your information for the following purposes:-
a. Provision of legal services including advising and acting on behalf of clients;
b. Promotion of our goods and services;
c. Provision of education and training to customers and clients;
d. Maintaining accounts and records; and
e. Supporting and managing staff.
Who will we share your information with?
8. Under our Code of Conduct there are very strict rules about who we can share your information with and this will normally be limited to other people who will assist with your matter. This may include:-
b. Other solicitors and legal representatives;
c. Medical Experts;
d. Private investigators;
e. Healthcare professionals, social and welfare organisations;
f. Courts and tribunals; and
g. Third party service providers that involve data processing for example archival, auditing, reference checking, criminal record searches, professional advisory (including the Solicitors Regulation Authority, the Legal Ombudsman, accounting, financial and business consulting), payroll services, mail delivery, marketing and security services.
9. Where you authorise us we may also disclose your information to your family, associates or representatives and we may also disclose your information to debt collection agencies if you do not pay our bills.
10. Credit referencing agencies. The privacy notice for our credit referencing agency can be found here (https://www.transunion.co.uk/legal-information/bureau-privacy-notice).
How long will we keep your information for?
11. We will normally keep your information throughout the period of time that we do work for you and afterwards for a period of fifteen years as we are required to do by law and also by the regulations that apply to us.
12. In some cases (for example where we have prepared a will for you we may retain your information for a longer period and we will advise you of this at the time.
13. More information is set out in our data retention policy which is available on request from the data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com.
Transfers to third countries
14. We may from time to time transfer your personal data to a country outside of the EEA.
15. Normally this will be necessary for the performance of your contract with us or for the exercise or defence of legal claims on your behalf.
16. Sometimes we may transfer for other reasons and we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place at all times.
17. The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We do not guarantee the security of data you transmit to us and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information we shall ensure that all the information that you provide to us is kept secure using appropriate technical and organisational measures including Lexcel, CQS and Cyber Essentials.
18. Any username or password we issue to you is personal to you and should be kept secure and should not be shared with any other person. You should stop using the username and password and notify us immediately if you suspect that somebody else might be using them.
19. In the event of a personal data breach we have in place procedures to ensure that the effects of such a breach are minimised and shall liaise with the ICO and / or with you as appropriate.
20. More information is available from the data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com.
What rights do you have?
21. You have the following rights under the GDPR:-
a. Right to be informed;
b. Right of access;
c. Right to rectification;
d. Right to erasure;
e. Right to restriction of processing;
f. Right to data portability;
g. Right to object;
h. Rights concerning automated decision-making and profiling; and
i. Right of access.
22. You have a right to see the information we hold about you. To access this you need to provide a request in writing to our data protection officer, together with proof of identity.
23. We will usually process your request free of charge and within 30 days however we reserve the right to charge a reasonable administration fee and to extend the period of time by a further two months if the request is manifestly unfounded or vexatious and/or is very complex. Full details are available in our data subject access policy which is available on request from the data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com.
Right to erasure
24. You have a right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain cases (details maybe found in Article 17 of the GDPR).
25. We will deal with your request free of charge and within 30 days but reserve the right to refuse to erase information that we are required to retain bylaw or regulation, or that is required to exercise or defend legal claims.
26. To exercise your right to erasure please contact our data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com.
27. Your personal information may be used for marketing purposes. You do not have to agree to this. If you object to the use of your personal data for this purpose please email privacy@GAsolicitors.com quoting your full name, address and email address and ask for removal of your details. All our electronic marketing material carries an unsubscribe option so that you can unsubscribe at any time.
28. If you have given GA explicit consent to use your personal information for allowing GA to contact you about services in which you may be interested or to use your image in GA’s marketing literature, you may withdraw this consent at any time, simply by emailing privacy@GAsolicitors.com. We will immediately withdraw your name from our marketing lists.
29. Your provision of personal information to us or your use of our online services constitutes your acceptance of the terms of this policy. Technologies and information governance practices are constantly developing. We may therefore need to revise this policy in the future and you should review our website regularly to ensure you are aware of any changes.
Who can you complain to?
30. If you are unhappy about how we are using your information or how we have responded to your request then initially you should contact the data protection officer via privacy@GAsolicitors.com If your complaint remains unresolved then you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, details available at www.ico.orq.uk.
Issue date: 11-05-2018
All content on this website (inclusive of guides, blogs and imagery) is strictly copyrighted by Gill Akaster LLP, trading as GA Solicitors. It is not to be used by any third party without prior contact and permission. Any requests for content should be sent to katy.mckenna@GAsolicitors.com.