Partner and head of team
After undertaking corporate and commercial works for two years, I moved across to focus on employment law in 2010. Over the years I’ve developed an extensive and complex caseload dealing with all elements of employment law such as unfair dismissals, constructive dismissal, discrimination and TUPE regulations.
I moved to Devon from Lancashire, joining the GA team in 2014, and continue to use and develop my experience, supporting both employees and employers locally, regionally, and nationally. In 2018, I became head of GA’s employment team and a partner of the firm in 2019.
My experience allows me to support and advise on all aspects of employment law, in particular:
- Preparation of contracts of employment, service agreements, policies and employee handbooks.
- Advice on disciplinary matters and grievance procedures to both employers and employees.
- Advice and assistance on the employment law aspects of commercial transactions and business transfers.
- Representation in cases before the employment tribunal.
- Assistance and advice to employees in respect of exit negotiations and settlement agreements.
In October 2017, The Plymouth Law Society recognised my commitment to clients and the profession, awarding me with the prestigious award of Young Lawyer of the Year for 2017.
I was delighted to receive the following praise in The Legal 500: ‘Robert Zacal is in my view a very effective employment lawyer. He knows the law and the workings of the employment tribunal. Most importantly his advice was realistic about what could be achieved and he always bore in mind the economic realities of litigation.’
Following a 50 point inspection from Three Best Rated, compiled of local reviews, history, business standards, satisfaction, price and more. I am listed as one of the top 3 employment law solicitors in Plymouth, and have been since 2020.
- Having worked closely with Rob over the last six years, I can highly recommend his advice and guidance. We have made significant structural and operational changes within the organisation and with Rob’s expertise, we were able to navigate the employment law aspects of this journey with confidence.
- I am emailing to let you know what a joy it has been to work with Rob on my negotiated exit. His approach to being readily available, either face to face, by phone, or email, has been fantastic. He has explained everything that he has been required to explain to me in a very clear and calm manner. In short, he has made what could be a stressful process incredibly easy, and I wanted you to know that.
- We received high-quality service from Rob Zacal and his team which helped us successfully navigate a difficult employment law issue. This was done in a structured and supportive way and we achieved the outcome we were looking for in a relatively short space of time. Moreover, with his guidance, we were able to progress with sensitivity and fairness and the integrity of all involved was maintained through to closure.
- Robert produced a directors service agreement for my business. It wasn't straightforward, but Robert dealt with it with true professionalism and delivered a result that far exceeded my expectations. I really couldn't have wished for anything better.
I also use GA for other legal assistance and without fault, every element has been first class. As far as I am concerned GA is the best law firm in the region.