Cyber Essentials: What is it and why are we proud to have it?
There is no doubting that the online world can be a hazardous one. In fact, one small business in the UK is hacked every 19 seconds according to Hiscox.
Cyber Essentials is a government backed scheme which helps organisations to protect themselves against cyber-attacks. It was designed with input from the Information Assurance for Small and Medium Enterprises (IASME) consortium and the Information Security Forum (ISF).
At GA Solicitors we achieved our Cyber Essentials certification back in 2018 and, following an extensive array of IT updates, were reaccredited this year. We saw the value in not only protecting ourselves, but also the thousands of clients we have or do work with. There is something reassuring about having a badge that says “we have you covered”.
To pass the assessment there is a detailed checklist. Just some of the things we had to tick off were:
- A firewall to secure our internet connection
- Securing the settings of every device and software we use
- Maintaining control of who has access to our data and services
- Ensuring top level protection from viruses and other malware
- Keeping all devices and software up to date, including Windows updates to all servers and devices
- Deleting any software which is no longer supported
- Ensure all passwords used are in line with NCSC guidance
- Lockdown of all ports on hardware e.g. no flash drives to be used
- Access controls – ensuring certain parts of the system are locked down to those who do not need to view it
Of course, that’s not to say that is all we do. We also:
- Have a system which encrypts our emails and all large file transfers
- Provide comprehensive and regular training to every member of staff at all levels
- Password protect all equipment, even copiers
- Have our servers securely backed up in several locations
So, if you would like a little technological reassurance when determining which law firm to instruct, then you are safe with us.
If you have a legal matter you would like to discuss, please call 01752 203500 or email enquiries@GAsolicitors.com.